Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cecilia

 This is a story from Jeremy (same guy from Knowing God and what He does blog) in my small group.  Would stories like these become contagious...

"For about a year now, I've been going to the 6:30am mass on weekdays about twice week at All Saints because it's on the way to work and they have Eucharistic Adoration afterward. I wasn't originally planning to go this morning because I had stayed up too late last night, but I ended up waking up at 5:30am anyway and going to mass almost out of habit.

After Mass, I went to the chapel to pray. My prayer time seemed really dry this morning at first, but I thumbed through the Bible and came across Baruch 4. I read that chapter and verse 30 stood out "he who named you will comfort you." - Baruch 4:30 The verse stood out to me, but I didn't know why. I also glanced at the app on my phone and noticed that tomorrow is the Feast of St. Cecilia. I don't know why it stood out to me either. I normally don't bother to look at the day ahead, but I did this time. I looked at the time (7:40am) and got up to go to work.

 As I was leaving though and walking out to my car, I heard a voice in my head (not out loud) that said "go back to the Holy Water fount."  I paused for a second and thought "I already went to the Holy Water fount on the way into Mass and afterward. There's no reason to go BACK to it ---besides it's 30 feet away."

I started to keep walking to my car, but then decided to turn around go back. It seemed like such a direct command that I didn't want to just disregard it. (even though I figured it was just one of my own random thoughts).
I made the sign of the cross with the Holy Water and then started to walk back out of the church and to my car. As I was walking though, a lady came out of the Eucharistic chapel and for a moment she was walking right next to me. Neither of us said anything, but I felt like I heard the voice again saying to "pray for her." So I started to pray silently "Lord, bless her... I hope she has a great day..." Then the voice was a bit more direct: "Pray for her!"
I felt awkward, but I tried to strike up a conversation by saying "hello." She said "hello" back but didn't say anything else. I thought "well, I tried.. That's all I can do." Finally I turned to her and asked directly if I could pray for her. Then I noticed that her eyes were watering.
I found out she has advanced Melanoma and is going to the doctor's office this afternoon for more tests. She may find out today if they have to remove her leg. I gave her a hug and prayed out loud for her and she broke down crying in my arms. She is a RN herself so she knows a lot about her own condition from treating others for 20 years. She mentioned how she was able to comfort others, but not herself. Her son is my age, 34 but is out of town and not able to be with her today.

I asked her name and she said it was Cecilia. I pointed out that tomorrow is the Feast of St. Cecilia (her patron Saint). She wasn't aware of the Feast day, but knew about St. Cecilia and mentioned that she was named after a church (St. Cecilia's) in the town where she was born. I talked to her about St. Cecilia briefly and how she had been known for praising God with joyful song even during some really dire moments. Cecilia (this lady) mentioned she was a singer and we talked about some of her favorite hymns. I mentioned that God had chosen her name and that he would comfort her. I prayed for her again and then she left. I mentioned I would be praying for her this afternoon at 1:00pm which is when her appoint is scheduled."

1 comment:

Father Christensen said...

Beautiful story of how the Holy Spirit prompts us to acts of Charity, and how we ought to obey those promptings. Kudos to Jeremy!